Landon had a moot court competition that night that went over, so instead of going to an awesome Girls' Night (in which we were going to play Rock Band and watch American Idol), a sick Dallin and I sat in the car outside the law school for almost an hour (so Jen, if you're reading this, that's why I didn't show!).
And.....I started dry-pack canning (in spite of the cold Dallin passed onto me...don't worry, I kept washing my hands).
You'd think it would be pretty hard to break a solid machine like that, wouldn't you?
Apparently it's not that hard.
I was less than a third of the way done with my canning when it broke. So then I had the lovely privilege of calling the very kind but gruff senior missionary that runs the Dry Pack Cannery in Springfield (for those readers who have no idea what I'm talking about, this link will explain it all). Bottom line, the roller fell off. It actually wasn't my fault, I didn't break it...I was just the unlucky user that the "keeper ring" (whatever) wore out on. (And DANG, that little roller is HEA-VY...it left a gouge in my linoleum when it fell off!)
So now, I have boxes of cans waiting to be filled...
Why did I want to do this?!
In the meantime....
On one of my favorite blogs, there was an entry recently titled Neglector. The author's premise was that to really get anything done, she had to neglect something else. Well, all in the name of incompleted canning, I neglected Dallin,
the laundry
my business/cleaning the office
a mess on my dining room table
not to mention my personal appearance (sorry, no pictures there).
And there you have it.
8 comments:
you've actually inspired me to give canning a try! p.s. that's what my laundry and my table look like :)
Wow, what an adventure. I hope it doesn't take them too long to get the part from SLC.
I'm sorry... it stinks to have such big projects left undone. I wanted to make applesauce this year... so I bought the apples, borrowed the gutting machine, and then realized I didn't have any jars. I spent one whole day trying to find some... and luckily our local feed store had one box left. Phew! What would I have done with all those apples?!?
Love ya!
Way to be domestic! I too am a cjane reader and love it. Witty, realistic... great reading. Sorry Dallin was puking... yuck.
Dry pack canning? My word Heather you have grown far too domestic!
I think you are amazing. By the way, I love the new blog background!
Dry pack canning? Seriously? I'm jealous of all the food storage you'll have when you're finally done. Good luck!!
Hey Heather! My baby Natalie has a really strong gag reflex also. She throws up at least once a day when she has a cough, so I know exactly how you feel. Absolutely no fun at all.
Look at you go! How does one go about getting into dry canning? Did you take a class, or were you simply born with it?
Post a Comment