It's that time of year again.
The time when you return from outside, and inevitably the cuffs of your pants are soaked and uncomfortable.
The time you live in that ugly hooded waterproof jacket (because my cute Ann Taylor rain coat doesn't fit over a pregnant belly, so I get to wear the muu muu raincoat).
The time you're constantly saying "You don't have your boots on...no splashing without boots," and wondering why in the world you forgot to put the boots on your toddler.
The time groceries need a towel-down after they make it inside.
The time the only light you see is the lamp in your house.
The time the sky is grey and gloomy and WET.
A co-worker at Landon's firm in Salt Lake went to law school in Oregon as well, and he has a favorite joke: "It only rained once while we were in Oregon. It started in October and ended in May!"
Unfortunately, it's not really a joke.
And you know, the funny thing is, I LOVED rain! Or at least I thought I loved rain....and then I moved to Oregon.
4 comments:
Beautifully written, Heather. I thought I didn't mind rain and gloomy skies either, but alas now I know I'm a sun lover. I'm starting to understand why people used to worship the sun...
Though I don't envy you the nonstop rain, I'm dealing with the depressing fact that snow is on our forecast for next week. I'm just not ready for snow yet! Not until after Halloween, please!?!? Or maybe even Thanksgiving. So right now, some rain is sounding good to me. :) I'm enjoying fall too much to transition to winter already.
I SO hear you! When we visited Oregon last Christmas that is what it did, rain, rain, rain. I was so looking forward to all the fun things to do...and it rained. My keepsake necklace from our vacation there was a pink raindrop. Our vacation was only a couple weeks though, you've got the rain on and on...
Although you were born in Seattle, we moved when you were eighteen months old, and I don't think you would remember the constant rain there. There was the old adage that Washingtonians did not tan, they simply rusted. It could also apply for Oregon winters.
Post a Comment