Couldn't decide on a title.I'm just temporarily resurfacing. No, the website is not updated with the Christmas line. My blessed friend Kristin is going to help me out with Dallin tomorrow, so hopefully by tomorrow night or Tuesday morning, it will be up and going! I'll be letting you know, of course.
So yesterday was an interesting day for us. We signed up to have the missionaries over, and they asked if they could come over for lunch rather than dinner. Fine with us, we had other plans for the evening anyway. We live close to the football stadium here in Eugene, and it was a game day, so no parking anywhere. Landon heated up the grill, and then went to get the missionaries from the church. I put on the burgers, and then got the other things ready. Landon was gone longer than I expected, so I went out to flip the burgers.
It was on fire.
I kid you not.
At this point, let me tell you that we are not allowed to have grills at this apartment complex.
Smoke was pouring out the sides, the paint was bubbling on the outside of the grill. I opened it to find in the entire inside of the grill in flames. I was so scared. I had no idea what to do. I didn't even know how to turn the propane off, and the smoke was so thick, I couldn't see well enough to read what was on the dial! So I just unscrewed the canister from the grill, and went inside to get some air! The whole time I was thinking thoughts revolving around trouble, eviction, fire department, angry neighbors, insurance......and then once the fire died out from lack of fuel (thank heavens it did!), I was thinking "What am I going to feed the missionaries?!"
Landon got home at that point. I heard him walk in with the elders and say, "Oh boy." Yeah. That's putting it mildly. It ended up that 3 of the burgers were not charcoal (they were the ones in the center, over the fuel panel, so the roaring flames in the bottom of the grill didn't get them). The other six, Landon just sawed off the bottom and Dallin and I ate them. (Dallin, obviously, has to eat his meat in small pieces, and I don't like hamburgers on a bun, so no biggie.) Despite the disaster, it turned out okay....that night as Landon was saying our prayers, he called it a "hiccup" in our day. I'd call it more of a desperate choking episode requiring the Heimlich, but I get the point.
In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter that I caught the grill on fire. (Except that it wasn't my fault! It just happened!)
Landon took the missionaries back to the church, and took Dallin with him. When they came back, they came bearing my favorite flowers, blood red carnations, since it had been a bit of a stressful day for me!
So, again, moral of the story, if you catch the grill on fire, your husband will bring you your favorite flowers.

Oh, and so far no repercussions linked to my adrenaline-fueled train of thought. Our apartment doesn't even smell like smoke anymore.....though when the missionaries asked us if they could do anything for us, we said yes. "Toss our grill in the dumpster on your way out!"
Now, if you'll excuse me, Landon is trying to learn the Napoleon Dynamite dance...I must go lend him moral support. (He got cornered and foolishly signed up for the ward talent show. Nobody will help him come up with anything, me included, so he's down to Napoleon. Wish him luck. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe I'll even provide video.....)
8 comments:
Scary! Glad no one was hurt! And good idea to do the Napoleon Dynamite dance... we have a ward talent show on Saturday that we are trying to figure something out for and we just might steal your idea. Thanks :)
What we do just to get flowers from our husbands! :) I'm glad everything turned out ok!
Heather! I miss you so much! I dreamed that I moved to Oregon last night. You and Landon let us have your apartment (so don't set it on fire!) I woke-up so sad that I didn't really get to see you.
When are you coming to UTAH? Brownie bar?
Heather, my dear, if I were there I would totally watch Dallin for you! He would fit right in with munchkins! I love reading your stories... you write so well and even when writing about the fruserating moments of your life you always know how to make me smile. Way to go Landon on the flowers! He's a smart man! Good luck as you continue working on your Christmas line! Do you mind if I put a link for your website on my blog?
yikes that is pretty scary, and so sweet of your husband to bring flowers!
Wow, that sounds really exciting! I would have been way too scared to unscrew the propane from the grill, you are brave! So are you going to be around for Christmas? We are planning on coming that way on the 20th or so. Stan, me, George and baby would love to see you guys!
I'm glad you didn't burn down the apartment, then you'd have to stay in our office...and you know how messy that is! :)
Dallin was a sweetheart today, thanks for letting him come play with us. Good luck with your website.
Can't WAIT to see video of his dance... that will be awesome! Good luck Landon!
Sorry about the fire... yikes!
Post a Comment