Monday, October 13, 2014

I wouldn't call myself a foodie, but....

This might be silly, but I just really love food, and because of that, I want to record everything I ate on our NYC anniversary trip back in July.....

First night at the Trattoria Trecolori in Midtown. I had the Calamari Alla Luciana.  Fresh squid sauteed in it's natural ink, with red wine and onions; served with saffron-risotto.  Oh my.  That sauce was to die for.  Over and over.

Next night, Pesce Pasta on the Upper East Side.  I had linguine with clams.  Delicious.  Loved the small restaurant, though I will say my dish wasn't as memorable as most of the others I had on this trip.

Oh, also we stopped for cupcakes at Sprinkles a couple times.  Red velvet and pumpkin, excellent.

The next day, our big meal was lunch at ABC Kitchen.  I still dream about this meal.  I had two small items, the roasted portabello and celery leaves and the linecaught tuna sashimi marinated with ginger and mint.  Melt in your mouth delicious.

That night, we went to the Mets game.  I had some excellent food there too, actually!  I had the Carnitas tacos at El Verano Taqueria. Yum.

The next day we grabbed Chinese takeout from a place in the Financial District for a late lunch (we had to make it back to our hotel room for Landon to take a conference call for work), pretty good! and then went over to Landon's work away from work :), the American Express building.  They have an upscale food court, Hudson Eats, in Brookfield Place, which connects to the Am Ex building.  There I got a sandwich from Little Muenster.  Sandwich is such a menial word for such a transcendental experience.  Pancetta, leek confit, gruyere and goat cheese on sourdough bread.  The best "grilled cheese" ever.  I've recreated this baby at home, and though I'm sure theirs is still better, even at home it's amazing.  Sigh.

Wednesday, Landon had to work, so I hopped the subway up to the Union Square area to check out Eataly.  I had a Nutella crepe there.  Yum.  Wandered some more (a lot more, all the way to the Upper West Side), then hopped on the subway to go meet a friend at a bakery in Washington Heights, Carrot Top Pastries.  I had the pistachio cannoli, which was excellent, and a fruit tart that wasn't so great and a red velvet cupcake that might have been okay if I'd never had Sprinkles' version of it.
Then I hopped the subway again to meet a dear former YW leader and her husband for dinner,  They are in New York serving as mission presidents.  We ate at The Smith, just a block or two from the Manhattan temple.  I actually had a salad, the Mediterranean salad (cucumber, feta, red onion, chickpea, olive, tomato, romaine, lemon dressing), because I was feeling kinda gross after all the sugar!  It was good, but it was, well, a salad.

And that was my last night.  Flew out the next morning.  Still dream of the food months later....

1 comment:

Trisha said...

Oh my gosh that all sounds amazing! What a fun trip for you guys. I hope you have pictures to post later! My grandparents just got back from the temple mission there and said it was amazing.